Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

anybody got experience with building servers?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MUACHi
veteran
MUACHi

anybody got experience with building servers? Empty
PostSubject: anybody got experience with building servers?   anybody got experience with building servers? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 4:59 am

needing to restructure a small company size of about 6-9 computers to network servers, any thoughts of hardware, software, difficulty? after research and talking to some techies this is what im planning to do:

COMCAST MODEM
|
|
|
WIRELESS ROUTER
(utilizing WPA2 wifi encryption)
|
|
|
SERVER MACHINE
(data storage for networked users)
(boot server for hosting OS and applications for multiple end-users)
(antivirus and firewall)
|
|
|
COMPUTERS(PC1, PC2, etc)
(thin clients configured for PXE booting to boot server)
|
|
|
NETWORK DEVICES
(wireless printer/scanner/copy for all networked users)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/tommymonchivang
Ramiro07
regular
Ramiro07

PostSubject: Re: anybody got experience with building servers?   anybody got experience with building servers? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 5:18 am

Maye add in a small switch, last thing u want to rely on is wireless connection for networked pcs/printers?

Its not that there's going to be high traffic just more relaible.
Back to top Go down
MUACHi
veteran
MUACHi

PostSubject: Re: anybody got experience with building servers?   anybody got experience with building servers? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 1:47 pm

thanks, ive been told that before too. i use a wireless router because occasionally theres heavy traffic from mobile and laptop users at the office, and they want access to the network too. btw anybody know a good local shop to get bundles of cat 6 cables and crimping tools? i'd prefer oem packages i dont wanna pay for retail.
Back to top Go down
Ramiro07
regular
Ramiro07

PostSubject: Re: anybody got experience with building servers?   anybody got experience with building servers? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 2:20 pm

MUACHi wrote:
thanks, ive been told that before too. i use a wireless router because occasionally theres heavy traffic from mobile and laptop users at the office, and they want access to the network too. btw anybody know a good local shop to get bundles of cat 6 cables and crimping tools? i'd prefer oem packages i dont wanna pay for retail.

Monoprice.com has good prices they also carry riser and plenum rated, much cheaper then local for sure. Newegg is close so deliveries are quick. Other then that I have cable tester/crimper you could borrow? I plan on going to the fresno meet, I've never tested my cable tester but its paladin brand
Back to top Go down
esactivesk8r
regular
esactivesk8r

PostSubject: Re: anybody got experience with building servers?   anybody got experience with building servers? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 5:36 pm

it's been awhile since i've done any network stuff.. trying to remember... but yes, i would definitely go with a switch.
much easier and expands the bandwith to all computers. what network are you going with on comcast? t1/t3 connection or just whatever comcast offers on a cheap basis?
Back to top Go down
MUACHi
veteran
MUACHi

PostSubject: Re: anybody got experience with building servers?   anybody got experience with building servers? EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 1:26 am

the company is already running on the comcast business. i think, 100Mbps Download and 15Mbps Upload or around there. the guy before me half-arsed the networking job so it's been a pain to maintain their network. I've finally convinced them to switch over to a server so it'll be easier on me and them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anybody got experience with building servers?   anybody got experience with building servers? Empty

Back to top Go down

anybody got experience with building servers?
Page 1 of 1