Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kaj
Admin ran out of ideas for a title
kaj

Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.  Empty
PostSubject: Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.    Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.  EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 8:36 pm

Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.  PS3-Wireless-Headset_2

having used an assortment of headsets, i feel qualified to write a decent review. in the past i've used a brand i forget, a Turtle Beach PX21, Turtle Beach P11, and this Sony unit.

i must say this Sony headset is the best i have used HANDS DOWN. why? i'll list the pros, in no particular order:

1. comfort. this headset is the most comfortable i've ever worn. i've literally used it for hours at a time and forget it's even on my head. i can NOT say the same of the TB sets. i attribute part of this to the Sony unit being wireless, so i don't have the headset tugging at the cord any time i move.
2. cordless. other than what i mention above, this is a GREAT feature. i have avoided it in the past, due to not wanting to have the battery go dead all the time. while this still bothers me, it is outweighed by the benefits. i can wear it to take a leak, if i have to. no need to tell friends, "i'll be right back". now they get to hear me piss. advantage. but not having the cord pulling at your ear really is the best part. it's awesome.
3. controls: the controls are all on the headset. not remote to fumble with or find during the middle of a game. the large rectangle on the left side of the set is actually one big on/off/mute switch. hold down for on/off and tap for mute/unmute. it's super easy to hit during a game. you can't miss it in a "i could have had a V8" kinda way. on the front of that rectangle is the slider that adjusts the balance of sound/chat. on the back is the main volume and USB port for charging. all controls are extremely easy to find without looking. another benefit is they can't be bumped while moving around. this means no shock of SUPER LOUD VOLUME because you bumped the knob on your remote!
4. quality: this thing feels like one, solid unit. it's lightweight, but doesn't feel cheep and "plasticy". nice piece of machinery.
5. integration: perhaps the best part of buying a native-brand piece. how does this headset work with the PS3 better than any other? well:
- auto sound mute. yes! when you turn this thing on, it automatically mutes the sound to your TV!! no getting all settled in with your Red Bull and snacks then realizing, "oh shit i forgot to grab the tv remote". it does it for you. sweet.
- on-screen status. up in the top right of the screen (where your controller info usually appears) it shows the battery life, the mute/unmute status, and the on/off status. this comes up for a few seconds any time you make an on/off or mute/unmute change. very nice.
- turn it on and play. there is no need to go into your menu to change the sound preferences. the PS3 recognized the headset right away and just works. plug and play defined.
6. retractable mic. the mic slides in and out of the left-side ear piece. when retracted, it doesn't exist. while extended, it works great. your voice is picked up perfectly, while being out of the way enough to avoid making the lobby hear your heavy breathing.

the headset comes with only two pieces: the headset and the dongle to plug into the PS3. the dongle is about the size of a small thumb drive and lights up with a soft blue glow to let you know its on. the mic also has different colored LEDs to let you know when you are muted or on, as well as if the headset itself is on or just charging. with the mic extended, you can see all this with a quick glance down and to the left, though it does not intrude while you are looking at the screen.,

i picked this unit up for $80, though retail is $99.99. BUY THIS. yes, it costs more than the mid-range TB headsets, but it is THAT much better. i promise you will not be disappointed!

Back to top Go down
nastyhabitzcrx
regular
nastyhabitzcrx

PostSubject: Re: Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.    Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.  EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 11:54 pm

heard people having problems with these interfering with wireless signals, you have any?

i am using the px21 and i love it, no worries about charging. no problems with comfort either
Back to top Go down
Garrett
Garrett

PostSubject: Re: Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.    Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.  EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:16 am

also, ive heard some horrible reverberation through bluetooth headsets. is there any issue with that in this headset? i'd hope not, being that it comes from sony. im just wondering...
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.    Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.  EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 2:14 pm

My PS3 is wired, so I can't comment on any wireless issues.

I've had absolutely no issues with this headset. I still have the p11 (it died, so I bought the Sony while the p11 is out on RMA) and my px21. I love the 21, but Sony owns it, hands down.

Yes, it needs to be recharged from time to time, but so do our controllers, though the headset needs more frequent charging, as it uses far more juice.. Connecting the USB cable doesn't get in my way (it attaches in the rear).

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.    Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Review: Sony PS3 Wireless headset.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Miscellaneous :: Video games-
Jump to: