Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fram filters anybody

Go down 
+5
PANDA_KID
coach
2159ClassicRed
kaj
94RSIntegra
9 posters
AuthorMessage
94RSIntegra
veteran
94RSIntegra

Fram filters anybody Empty
PostSubject: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:19 am

anybody know if all Fram oil filters are cardboard or just their basic filter. I asked this because they have two other version too, the Fram extended one and the Fram Xtra Guard.

this video here shows that the basic one is made up of cheap cardboard. I be scared to put this in my car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX0xrqvlsNI&feature=related

Back to top Go down
kaj
Admin ran out of ideas for a title
kaj

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:00 am

i believe i read all of theirs are more or less the same.

they aren't BAD. but there are others out there. OEM works well as does K&N and Mobil 1. if you do a bit of Googling, you can easily find out which ones have use media other than paper. but there aren't many.

oh.. and i think i read WIX was an awesome filter, though it's generic.
Back to top Go down
94RSIntegra
veteran
94RSIntegra

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:24 am

I just hear from people that Fram filters are known to collapse and mess up your engine.

right now I'm using OEM toyota filter which is made in Thailand and I'm gonna cut it open to see how it looks inside. if it's cardboard too than I wanna start looking for an after market alternative.

I'm looking at AMSOIL but it's about $20 each. Maybe I'll just try K&N first.

Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:17 am

I've used all types and never had one fail, if that helps. The cardboard sits behind a perforated steel layer. I can't imagine it doing much damage, but I've never researched it either.
Back to top Go down
2159ClassicRed
regular
2159ClassicRed

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:39 pm

I've used one on my Miata way back. BIG drop in oil pressure and immediately went home that same day and changed it out. Never ever will use them again. But if we had to be honest, that was a particular problem with my car, so I don't know if it'll do the same to others. I just wouldn't want them as oil is the blood line and wouldn't want to chance it. M1 is what I like.
Back to top Go down
coach
Event Coordinator
coach

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:44 pm

2159ClassicRed wrote:
I've used one on my Miata way back. BIG drop in oil pressure and immediately went home that same day and changed it out. Never ever will use them again. But if we had to be honest, that was a particular problem with my car, so I don't know if it'll do the same to others. I just wouldn't want them as oil is the blood line and wouldn't want to chance it. M1 is what I like.
i just buy mine from honda end of the story.
Back to top Go down
PANDA_KID
regular
PANDA_KID

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 10:03 pm

i've been using fram for years on both cars.i've never had 1 fail.but i've also have never used a different brand either.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pandakid559
creepingcharlie
noob
creepingcharlie

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 2:39 am

Fram filters are complete trash. There are only a hand full filter I would use if not using OEM. 1 wix 2 Napa gold (wicked makes) 3 Baldwin 4 k&n (Baldwin makes) 5 Mobil 1 I think Baldwin makes also. There is a huge right up on filter on another forum I visit. The dude gose as far as cutting up every possible filter he can find. I will see if I can link it using my phone if not I will have to wait tell I get internet in my home.
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 3:02 am

2159ClassicRed wrote:

How big was your filter? Lol
Back to top Go down
94RSIntegra
veteran
94RSIntegra

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 11:59 am

if all the Fram filter looked like the one on the video i posted above than there is no point in using a filter at all. That filter had a big opening, its not even seal properly.
Back to top Go down
nastyhabitzcrx
regular
nastyhabitzcrx

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 8:00 pm

OEM Honda filters are Fram now anyways. don't believe me? look on the filter you will see a name on there, Honeywell.

now Fram isn't exactly to OEM spec(shape, grip, and bypass), since the bypass vavlve is slightly diiferent. this is the Fram's weakness, since the bypass is cruciial to startup and failure here WILL lead to long term damage.

If you Honda guys want a good filter get the s2k filter made by Toyo Roki or Filtech. they screw on the same but have a larger filter area. don't believe the hype about pressure drop on these as 1 psi can't hurt your motor
Back to top Go down
94RSIntegra
veteran
94RSIntegra

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 1:39 am

nastyhabitzcrx wrote:
OEM Honda filters are Fram now anyways. don't believe me? look on the filter you will see a name on there, Honeywell.

now Fram isn't exactly to OEM spec(shape, grip, and bypass), since the bypass vavlve is slightly diiferent. this is the Fram's weakness, since the bypass is cruciial to startup and failure here WILL lead to long term damage.

If you Honda guys want a good filter get the s2k filter made by Toyo Roki or Filtech. they screw on the same but have a larger filter area. don't believe the hype about pressure drop on these as 1 psi can't hurt your motor

i hate it when company start taking short cuts like that.
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Once Honda changed their filters to the smaller ones, we started using the s2k ones. They worked great.
Back to top Go down
92eg
noob
92eg

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 4:44 pm

where do you get this s2k filter, honda dealer?
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 4:56 pm

92eg wrote:

Any filter brand you choose, just pick the part number for the S2000. It will usually be a bit larger.
Back to top Go down
94RSIntegra
veteran
94RSIntegra

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 3:20 am

kaj wrote:
92eg wrote:

Any filter brand you choose, just pick the part number for the S2000. It will usually be a bit larger.

that sounds like what I'm doing too, I put a Lexus V8 oil filter in my supra. that filter still fits in my car and the size of it is bigger than the one for my supra.
Back to top Go down
coach
Event Coordinator
coach

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:00 am

i dunnu but this shit has been out for years. i've never had an issue with any of the honda ones i have had. oh well.
Back to top Go down
GRBeaSTin
regular
GRBeaSTin

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 5:41 pm

94RSIntegra wrote:
kaj wrote:
92eg wrote:

that sounds like what I'm doing too, I put a Lexus V8 oil filter in my supra. that filter still fits in my car and the size of it is bigger than the one for my supra.

If you use a larger oil filter, do you have add more than the recommended amount of oil? Wouldn't a larger oil filter cause oil starvation since there will be a little more oil sitting in the oil filter? Just curious, that's all.
Back to top Go down
94RSIntegra
veteran
94RSIntegra

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 6:35 pm

GRBeaSTin wrote:
94RSIntegra wrote:
kaj wrote:
92eg wrote:

If you use a larger oil filter, do you have add more than the recommended amount of oil? Wouldn't a larger oil filter cause oil starvation since there will be a little more oil sitting in the oil filter? Just curious, that's all.

yeap your engine will starve from oil shortage, you just have to check your oil stick and added according.

my engine needs 5.5 quarts of oil so with the bigger oil filter I now needed 6 quarts to get the oil to show where it's supposed to be on the oil stick.
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 6:40 pm

a larger oil filter MAY require an extra ounce or two of oil. i can't imagine it starving the engine.
Back to top Go down
94RSIntegra
veteran
94RSIntegra

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 9:22 pm

sorry, i should have make it clear that a bigger filter will not to starved your engine to a point where it's no longer safe to drive it anymore.
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 9:53 pm

94RSIntegra wrote:
sorry, i should have make it clear that a bigger filter will not to starved your engine to a point where it's no longer safe to drive it anymore.

but you did say a larger filter will cause oil starvation:

94RSIntegra wrote:

yeap your engine will starve from oil shortage, you just have to check your oil stick and added according.

my engine needs 5.5 quarts of oil so with the bigger oil filter I now needed 6 quarts to get the oil to show where it's supposed to be on the oil stick.

if you are saying that a larger filter requires a HALF quart more oil, then you must have been missing oil somewhere else. the only time i've seen that happen is to add oil to a NEW engine, cycle it through, then re-check the oil level. then you may need more.

but half a quart from installing a larger filter? no.
Back to top Go down
94RSIntegra
veteran
94RSIntegra

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 10:12 pm

kaj wrote:
94RSIntegra wrote:

94RSIntegra wrote:

if you are saying that a larger filter requires a HALF quart more oil, then you must have been missing oil somewhere else. the only time i've seen that happen is to add oil to a NEW engine, cycle it through, then re-check the oil level. then you may need more.

the .05 quart is just an estimate. If i really take note of it than it should be less. A year ago I have Eugene to rebuild the head and replace everything into OEM spec so I'm pretty confident nothing is wrong with the engine.

Last edited by 94RSIntegra on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 10:14 pm

94RSIntegra wrote:
kaj wrote:
94RSIntegra wrote:

94RSIntegra wrote:

the .05 quart is just an estimate.

just trying to clarify. i'd hate for someone doing a random google search to read this thread and drop an extra half quart of oil in their engine.. blow some seals, etc. just 'cause he added a larger oil filter.
Back to top Go down
94RSIntegra
veteran
94RSIntegra

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 10:17 pm

kaj wrote:
94RSIntegra wrote:
kaj wrote:
94RSIntegra wrote:

94RSIntegra wrote:

the .05 quart is just an estimate.

just trying to clarify. i'd hate for someone doing a random google search to read this thread and drop an extra half quart of oil in their engine.. blow some seals, etc. just 'cause he added a larger oil filter.

LOl.. thats kool, yeah and like i said earlier, people putting bigger oil filter just have to check the oil stick and fill it as needed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fram filters anybody   Fram filters anybody Empty

Back to top Go down

Fram filters anybody
Page 1 of 1