Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

subaru power steering whine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rickdaddy
Admin
Rickdaddy

subaru power steering whine Empty
PostSubject: subaru power steering whine   subaru power steering whine EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 8:09 pm

For the past few days I've been having a power steering problem. My friend and I installed a perrin inlet but we had to loosen up the banjo bolt for the power steering pump. Upon putting everything back we noticed that it was leaking from the washer so we ended up getting new ones. After getting new washers for it there were no more leaks, HOWEVER, the car now makes a whining sound whenever I turn the steering wheel and at times it would be extremely hard to turn, as if there were no power steering (which would happen at least twice a day or so for only a second or two). We ended up refilling the fluid with royal purple ATF and it still didn't fix the problem.
At this point I think I fucked something up because as soon as I poured it in and started the car (I actually turned the steering wheel multiple times with the car off prior to this) there was somewhat of a cracking sound and the fluid went down instantly. I then noticed the clutch was EXTREMELY soft (I have an ACT street clutch kit) and it would make a squeeling sound when it's not pressed but will be quiet once the clutch is pressed. Anyone have any idea on how the clutch fucking up would have any ties to the power steering?

Last edited by Rickdaddy on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kaj
Admin ran out of ideas for a title
kaj

PostSubject: Re: subaru power steering whine   subaru power steering whine EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 2:52 am

did you burp the system?

let the car run and turn the wheel back and forth from lock to lock. keep adding fluid until the level stops going down **edit. yes, you did. LOL
or-
depending on how low the level got before the fix, you may have burned the pump up
or-
if your accessory belt is too tight, you will kill the bearings inside the pump. not so bad, as bearings are usually cheap and easy to replace. they are sealed; look just like skateboard bearings.
Back to top Go down
Rickdaddy
Admin
Rickdaddy

PostSubject: Re: subaru power steering whine   subaru power steering whine EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 5:49 am

this all happened because the washers for the banjo bolt were bad and it was leaking power steering fluid from there. the resevoir then filled up all the way to the top of the cap (actually started leaking out) and there's now bubbles in it.

I was told that our cars uses ATF instead of the power steering fluid and that I should change to that. However, since I had the car, it's been running on the power steering fluid and never had a problem until now.
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: subaru power steering whine   subaru power steering whine EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:34 am

air bubbles mean you have a breach in the system. that's what is pushing the fluid out (if i'm reading your description right). check all the hoses. it sounds like the pump is sucking in air from some part of the system and pumping it through. if you can find out which way the fluid flows, that will help. start at the connection to the pump.

ATF fluid for the PS pump? interesting. possible. my evo used it for the ACD, or something weird like that. you never know. if you have the wrong fluid, that could explain it..except you said it never gave you a problem before.

anyway.. start looking for ways that the air is getting in upstream. air bubbles don't just magically appear, assuming it's bled properly.
Back to top Go down
Dao
regular
Dao

PostSubject: Re: subaru power steering whine   subaru power steering whine EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 7:38 pm

When it comes to Honda/Acura, a little reading told me that after you bleed the system and the symptoms persists, that means you gotta get a new pump.

Is the fluid bubbly/foamy?

If you are no longer leaking any fluid after a bleed, then i suggest getting a new/used pump.

However, Subarus are not Honda/Acura.

just throwing in my .02 of knowledge.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/daovang/
Rickdaddy
Admin
Rickdaddy

PostSubject: Re: subaru power steering whine   subaru power steering whine EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:05 am

updated first post

now with clutch problem :/
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: subaru power steering whine   subaru power steering whine EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 5:14 pm

they shouldn't be related. the noise could be from PS fluid leaking into the trans housing? maybe it got on the flywheel or something. i can't imagine why it would make your clutch pedal go soft. that just makes no sense to me.

i've never seen a PS system tied into a transmission/clutch. how is the fluid in your clutch master cylinder?
Back to top Go down
Rickdaddy
Admin
Rickdaddy

PostSubject: Re: subaru power steering whine   subaru power steering whine EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 7:18 pm

there seems to be nothing wrong with the fluid.

I'm leaning towards a bad throw out bearing which probably just gave out on that very day. Sad
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: subaru power steering whine   subaru power steering whine EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Rickdaddy wrote:
there seems to be nothing wrong with the fluid.

I'm leaning towards a bad throw out bearing which probably just gave out on that very day. Sad

that would be a crazy coincidence. in that case my money is on that or the fingers on your pressure plate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: subaru power steering whine   subaru power steering whine Empty

Back to top Go down

subaru power steering whine
Page 1 of 1