Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

97 civic dx sedan.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
irod7
noob

97 civic dx sedan. Empty
PostSubject: 97 civic dx sedan.   97 civic dx sedan. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Hey guys i just wanted to ask, around how much should it cost me to build my sohc with all the best parts. i have a 97 civic dx sedan. i want to get it turbo ready. i want to buy everything brand new. coming home from a deployment so i have $$.
Back to top Go down
kaj
Admin ran out of ideas for a title
kaj

97 civic dx sedan. Empty
PostSubject: Re: 97 civic dx sedan.   97 civic dx sedan. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm

irod7 wrote:
Hey guys i just wanted to ask, around how much should it cost me to build my sohc with all the best parts. i have a 97 civic dx sedan. i want to get it turbo ready. i want to buy everything brand new. coming home from a deployment so i have $$.

A hell of a lot more than a twin can engine for the same power. GSR engines are doing 400hp on stock long blocks. Any reason you want to stay with a d-series?
Back to top Go down
esactivesk8r
regular
esactivesk8r

97 civic dx sedan. Empty
PostSubject: Re: 97 civic dx sedan.   97 civic dx sedan. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 2:14 pm

Its the underdog =)
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

97 civic dx sedan. Empty
PostSubject: Re: 97 civic dx sedan.   97 civic dx sedan. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 3:54 pm

esactivesk8r wrote:
Its the underdog =)

True. That's what prompted me to buy my first Honda. I wanted an 11-sec fwd car. Back in 2002, it wasn't all that easy.
Back to top Go down
esactivesk8r
regular
esactivesk8r

97 civic dx sedan. Empty
PostSubject: Re: 97 civic dx sedan.   97 civic dx sedan. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Yeah, building a sohc isn't going to be easy but will be a fun learning experience. You would make more power with a dohc though and more parts available now for dohc motors. Everyones getting rid of their sohc but I still love what a sohc can do. I would say think about what's goals you want, how much power, street driven or only track use, and how fast you want to be quarter mile wise or anything else you will be using the car for.
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

97 civic dx sedan. Empty
PostSubject: Re: 97 civic dx sedan.   97 civic dx sedan. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 6:42 pm

also, to get REAL power from a SOHC engine, you lose a lot of driveability. you can make STUPID power with a B18c while retaining stock cams, etc. you don't have to open the engine unless you want so much you need pistons and rings.

the car can have 500whp and still get 30mpg and idle like stock. you can't do that with a SOHC. single cam engines have to be built as crazy as possible. it's very expensive, a lot of work, and at the end you end up getting beat by B-series cars.

but.. if it's all about seeing what you can do, and not being faster than everyone? i say do it. cars are an expensive hobby either way, but it's the most fun some of us can have. go crazy, man. see what you can squeeze out of that lil engine!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

97 civic dx sedan. Empty
PostSubject: Re: 97 civic dx sedan.   97 civic dx sedan. Empty

Back to top Go down

97 civic dx sedan.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Car Related :: Technical Q&A-
Jump to: