Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.

Go down 
+2
S13TypeXFan
MUACHi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MUACHi
veteran
MUACHi

HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. Empty
PostSubject: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 5:04 am

hey guys, i'm trying to put in my new AGX shocks into my gc8, but the problem i'm having is that the two bottom bolts that connect the shock to the camber arm is waaaayyy too tight. dont think anyone has ever loosened it since its factory days (1995). i've WD40 it a couple of times and removed all grease and grime but its still too tight to loosen.

i've used all the elbow grease i can thow at it, even broke one of my wrenches(albeit MADE-IN-TAIWAN). right now i'm using xxgxx air impact wrench that maxes out at 325lb of torque but still no results. i'd like some help on this, my last resort is to take it to a mechanic to change my shocks for me, and i REALLY dont want to pay the money for that, i'm already broke as it is.

btw - i LUV the quality of xxgxx tool set, Craftsman FTW!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/tommymonchivang
S13TypeXFan
regular
S13TypeXFan

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 5:14 am

Go get a can of PB Blast man, can get it from any parts store. It puts WD 40 to shame. Just spray some PB Blast on it let it sit for like 30 seconds and I promise you the bolts will come loose.
Back to top Go down
MUACHi
veteran
MUACHi

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 5:34 am

will try that
Back to top Go down
Garrett
Admin ran out of ideas for a title
Garrett

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 1:21 pm

a good breaker bar with some added length, like a large jack handle or long piece of pipe. youll get alot more leverage.
Back to top Go down
illest
regular
illest

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Garrett wrote:
a good breaker bar with some added length, like a large jack handle or long piece of pipe. youll get alot more leverage.

This.
Back to top Go down
MUACHi
veteran
MUACHi

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 4:36 pm

i was using a 3 ft steel pipe, thats how i broke the wrench. i actually never liked using pipes for extensions, i just feel unsafe about it.
Back to top Go down
Garrett
Admin ran out of ideas for a title
Garrett

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 2:18 am

dont use a wrench. esp not a cheap wrench. get a 1/2" breaker bar or a beefy 3/8" with a good socket. craftsman or actually Auto Zones duralast sockets are pretty sturdy. ive used the same 14mm socket to break loose tons of head bolts and suspension parts with no troubles. and hell if you break it, they have a lifetime warranty.
Back to top Go down
S13TypeXFan
regular
S13TypeXFan

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 2:26 am

You still havent gotten the bolts loose?
Back to top Go down
illest
regular
illest

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 6:08 am

Garrett wrote:
dont use a wrench. esp not a cheap wrench. get a 1/2" breaker bar or a beefy 3/8" with a good socket.

This is how I broke two Craftsman 3/8" drive socket wrenches. Use a 1/2" drive socket for the heavier tougher bolts and nuts.
Back to top Go down
MUACHi
veteran
MUACHi

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 2:02 am

Thanx guys. The pb blast worked like magic. Wd40 cant compare imo. Everything came out nicely. But man. Changing my shocks was horrific. They were so grimy it took me a long to clean each one up. Sucks cuz now i have to wait to finish them because kyb sent me a wrong part.
Back to top Go down
S13TypeXFan
regular
S13TypeXFan

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 2:54 am

MUACHi wrote:
Thanx guys. The pb blast worked like magic. Wd40 cant compare imo. Everything came out nicely. But man. Changing my shocks was horrific. They were so grimy it took me a long to clean each one up. Sucks cuz now i have to wait to finish them because kyb sent me a wrong part.

KYB sent me the wrong shit too! I ordered a full set of GR2's and they sent me the wrong rear ones. My car has a HICAS system in it which is a rear active suspension, so I cant use normal rear shocks. So I specifically ordered for those shocks and they sent me the normal ones. I called them up and told them they sent me the wrong ones, and they told me that they don't make it for the rear active suspension. I was like wtf it says on your website you do! So I went to Nappa and they had it IN STOCK at the Fresno warehouse, and they were cheaper than ordering them from the KYB warehouse. So keep that in mind, next time you wanna order aftermarket stuff go check with Nappa first, I was surprised with all the aftermarket stuff they have, most of it is ordered items, but having the Fresno warehouse here makes it convenient, you can just go drive by the airport and pick it up, instead of waiting for it to be shipped to you.
Back to top Go down
94RSIntegra
veteran
94RSIntegra

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 5:04 pm

MUACHi wrote:
\
thats good to hear as a last resort I was going to suggest you to use a torch and heat that sucker up.
Back to top Go down
dSkDc4
regular
dSkDc4

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 9:27 pm

pb blaster for the win!!!!! thats what i use works all the time
Back to top Go down
MUACHi
veteran
MUACHi

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 10:37 pm

lol new update, i got all of the shocks done except 1. the front passenger oem shock wouldnt come off because apparently the nuts and bolt that held it in was somehow waaayy too tight. after many uses of pb blaster and even taking it to a mechanic, nobody was able to get it off, so me and my buddy decided to cut off it off. that was quite epic
Back to top Go down
S13TypeXFan
regular
S13TypeXFan

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 5:33 am

MUACHi wrote:
lol new update, i got all of the shocks done except 1. the front passenger oem shock wouldnt come off because apparently the nuts and bolt that held it in was somehow waaayy too tight. after many uses of pb blaster and even taking it to a mechanic, nobody was able to get it off, so me and my buddy decided to cut off it off. that was quite epic

Dang, well if it comes down to it sometimes you gotta bust out the grinder. Wth was the mechanic doing? he didnt have a air gun? I think a good ratchet and a cheater bar wouldve done the trick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.   HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up. Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP. shock bolts are too tight to loosen up.
Page 1 of 1