Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Auto x info needed

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 11:35 am

If everything sounds right im thinking about picking up a car to auto x. So about weight, what is consider too heavy? Im guessing short gearing is better for the run? How about hp? The more the better or no? Any more questions i think of, ill post...thanks.
Back to top Go down
kaj
Admin ran out of ideas for a title
kaj

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 12:57 pm

the smaller, lighter, and simpler (in general) the more fun. such as Miatas, MR2, etc. anything actually works. people drive minis, custom modified cars, convertible Mercedes Benz.. you name it, people drive it. so as long as it's something you enjoy driving, you are good to go. if you are looking to compete for points, etc then you will need to consult the rule book and build your car according to the class you would like to run.
another benefit to smaller/lighter cars is that the wear items (brake pads/tires/etc) are CHEAP. this is a huge plus.
Back to top Go down
coach
Event Coordinator
coach

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Mynes_3 wrote:
If everything sounds right im thinking about picking up a car to auto x. So about weight, what is consider too heavy? Im guessing short gearing is better for the run? How about hp? The more the better or no? Any more questions i think of, ill post...thanks.
First of all, just come out. Second you don't need all the hp in the world. third- good tires and just drive the car, dont over modify it before hand as it will only hurt you in the long run. keep it simple and you'll have fun. last of all read this.http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2012_Solo_Rules_March.pdf
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Yea..im thinking about purchasing another supra to auto x sprint driving whatevrr...but i just think at 36-3700lbs, its too heavy..lol...maybe not for points for just fun.
Back to top Go down
coach
Event Coordinator
coach

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Mynes_3 wrote:
Yea..im thinking about purchasing another supra to auto x sprint driving whatevrr...but i just think at 36-3700lbs, its too heavy..lol...maybe not for points for just fun.
it is heavy......just buy a miata then and get some dunlop star specs
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Not a miata fan...really would love a s2k but dont see myself spending 12k+ on one just to do that....well, guess i found the perfect.car....
Back to top Go down
coach
Event Coordinator
coach

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 5:12 pm

Mynes_3 wrote:
Not a miata fan...really would love a s2k but dont see myself spending 12k+ on one just to do that....well, guess i found the perfect.car....
I'm not either, but they are light and cheap to make fast. either that or an 89-91 civic si
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 6:02 pm

I greatly dislike the Miata. But, of you want a cheap, fun, competitive auto-x car, you won't find much better.
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 10:13 pm

What about the mr2 spyder?? My cousin has one and for stock suspension components, i think it handles fairly well
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 10:55 pm

Mynes_3 wrote:
What about the mr2 spyder?? My cousin has one and for stock suspension components, i think it handles fairly well

i haven't seen a single one at an event, though i haven't been to many. out of curiosity, why would you be willing to drive an MR2 spyder, but not a miata? either way, if you like the way it drives, then it would work great. it's all about doing what you want, really. the only thing i'd say no to (in any car, really) is an A/T transmission. that would be pretty boring for me. LOL

these sites list a couple of peeps doing well with the Spyder:

http://www.scca.com/solo/news.cfm?cid=50995
http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=51016

if you like it, do it!
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 11:39 pm

Never a fan of miata and never will. Lol. I gotta talk my cousin into letting try his car out hard but seems like MR seems easier to spin out? Idk. Lol.
Back to top Go down
PANDA_KID
regular
PANDA_KID

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 12:51 am

like jeff said just come out,Seat time is your best friend thumbsup
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pandakid559
kaj
kaj

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 10:35 am

Mynes_3 wrote:
Never a fan of miata and never will. Lol. I gotta talk my cousin into letting try his car out hard but seems like MR seems easier to spin out? Idk. Lol.

I think most people spin them because they are trying to drive it like a FR or FF. They are usually quite neutral with a bit of understeer. Lots of potential. A local guy named Bryan did very well in his MR2.

I REALLY don't like Miatas. But if I were buying a cheap, fun AX car, that's what I would buy. I mean.....I REALLY don't like them. Lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Auto x info needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto x info needed   Auto x info needed Empty

Back to top Go down

Auto x info needed
Page 1 of 1