Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

porting stock cast manifold and elbow

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

porting stock cast manifold and elbow Empty
PostSubject: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 3:52 pm

looking to get my supra stock cast turbo manifold ported..is it worth it in the end? i chose this because i think it can be ported to flow little bit better and i dont have money to buy a nice manifold for over few thousands. so if its worth it then who in town ports cast material?
Back to top Go down
kaj
Admin ran out of ideas for a title
kaj

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 5:14 pm

as a rule, porting is always a good idea. to a point. for instance.. i think i remember hearing that porting and polishing b-series intake manifolds wasn't always a good idea, as it reduced the air and fuel's ability to mix properly (it tends to rely on the the rough air to mix the fuel droplets). i'm just kinda paraphrasing what i heard LONG ago. not sure if it was right or not..

anyway.. porting is usually cool. i couldn't imagine a reason not to. you are removing the "steps" between the parts that cause serious disruption to the flow of air. when i had my evo i did my exh manifold because there was almost 1mm difference in some places. it was horrible. i'm not so sure i'd attack aluminum on my own, though. LOL.

good luck, yo.
Back to top Go down
nastyhabitzcrx
regular
nastyhabitzcrx

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 5:43 pm

kaj wrote:
as a rule, porting is always a good idea. to a point. for instance.. i think i remember hearing that porting and polishing b-series intake manifolds wasn't always a good idea, as it reduced the air and fuel's ability to mix properly (it tends to rely on the the rough air to mix the fuel droplets). i'm just kinda paraphrasing what i heard LONG ago. not sure if it was right or not..

anyway.. porting is usually cool. i couldn't imagine a reason not to. you are removing the "steps" between the parts that cause serious disruption to the flow of air. when i had my evo i did my exh manifold because there was almost 1mm difference in some places. it was horrible. i'm not so sure i'd attack aluminum on my own, though. LOL.

good luck, yo.

he isn't talking about the intake kaj, he's talking the factory cast turbo mani. but just to clarify your statement, smooth porting on the intske side will make fuel "stick" to the runners vs. "golf ball" effect the cast or a rough port would have. \

either way one would assume that since it's a turbo car and you want more volume, just crank up the boost!!
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 5:49 pm

sorry. i didn't sleep last night. i'm tired. haha. anyway.. so the exh mani? cast iron? doit. sure!

unless you are trying to squeeze every bit of power, it may not be worth it if the ports aren't that bad. as mentioned above, you can just turn up the boost. haha. N/A cars don't have this luxury. to be honest, i mostly did mine because it was off already and free to do. did it help spool my stock turbo? probably not. did i make any more power? probably not. but i felt all warm and fuzzy inside. LOL. i just like working on my cars.
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 6:25 pm

U did mention exh manifold in your first post. Lol. Just turn up the boost?? Why i cant because i dont think i can squeeze out much with an upgraded turbo on stock mani. Maybe i can but i just wanted to know before hand if porting it will help also but for sure the elbow does need it tho as it is small and very restrictive unless i can find someone who can cut me a flange and make me a 3 inch elbow.
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Making an elbow sounds like the best bet. Assuming the outlet/inlets are actually 3".
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 12:54 am

Anyone in town that can cut me a flange?
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 2:50 pm

You can order flanges. Usually $3-5 each.
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Looked everywhere already. My flange can not be found. Idky
Back to top Go down
nastyhabitzcrx
regular
nastyhabitzcrx

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 4:15 pm

Mynes_3 wrote:
Looked everywhere already. My flange can not be found. Idky

isn't the stock turbo a t25 flange? that should be easy to find online
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 9:02 pm

No. Flange i need is for the back of the turbo where the elbow or dp is. It looks like a t3 but bigger
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 9:10 pm

I doubt it's bigger than a t3. Not if turbos are stock.
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Not sure if its bigger or not but thie is the one i need. The gasket should tell how i needed the flange. The biggest one is what i need

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/mzmsNNy4Y01A7RQ0cVABcUA/140.jpg
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 pm

A bit more than I thought:

Turbo outlet flange

Fits the stock or upgraded CT26 turbo. Made from 3/8" think mild steel. CNC laser cut.

Price $30

http://www.bicperformance.com/products.htm

it looks like most people are doing ct26 to t3 conversions:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002UN8N5Y/ref=redir_mdp_mobile
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 10:57 pm

forgot to mention its not a ct26 turbo. its a ct15b
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 10:26 am

That would have been good to know before I spent all that time Googling for ya. Smile Sad
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 11:13 am

Sorry kaj!
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Mynes_3 wrote:
Sorry kaj!

i'll live. Wink

i googled under "shopping" and web search. worse comes to worse, i know a guy with a six-axis machine that can make anything. if he had your turbo, he could cut you a flange. i don't think it's any more expensive than a store-bought one, either.
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Mind giving me his info and estimate price ull think? Thanks
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Mynes_3 wrote:
Mind giving me his info and estimate price ull think? Thanks

i'll look up the name of his shop. he was next door, so we just know him from that.. i can't remember it's name though. LOL. he'll have to give you the quote.
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 am

Thanks
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 1:23 am

Vision CNC

ask for Abel. Tell him Jason and Robert from Clovis Custom Audio sent you.
Back to top Go down
Mynes_3
veteran
Mynes_3

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 1:46 am

Cant find no number only address
Back to top Go down
kaj
kaj

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 2:05 am

Weird. I have his cell number. I'll ask if it's okay to give out
Back to top Go down
nastyhabitzcrx
regular
nastyhabitzcrx

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 2:12 am

give Bob at Turbo Performance a call he's the man! guaranteed i bet he can get you aflange (818) 994-7087
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: porting stock cast manifold and elbow   porting stock cast manifold and elbow Empty

Back to top Go down

porting stock cast manifold and elbow
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Car Related :: Technical Q&A-
Jump to: